Kerio Connect supports Full backup that stores all files and items, and it also supports Differential backup that stores files that have been added or changed since the last full backup. You can configure specific backup settings such as count of rotation for complete backups and the split backup size.
You can schedule any number of full and differential backups depending on the datastore size (affects the time of backup completion) and the Importance of the data (more frequent backups schedule prevents data loss). Any removable or network disk can be used for storing backups.
You can back up the following items in Kerio Connect:
- User mailboxes
- Note that temporarily disabled users are not included in the backups.
- Public folders
- Mailing lists
- Configuration files
- SSL certificates
- SpamAssassin database
Making these changes requires full administration access rights for your user or the use of the built-in administrator account. For more information, refer to Setting access rights in Kerio Connect.
In the administration interface, go to Configuration > Archiving and Backup > Backup.
Check Enable message store and configuration recovery backup.
Type a description for the backup.
Select the time and the type of backup and click OK.
Repeat Steps 3-5 for additional backups.
Click Advanced and specify the maximum size for backup files' split and count of complete backups to be kept.
Note: Setting backup rotation to 1 means that each new full backup will replace the previous full backup file, so there will be only one full backup file kept at a time. This setting applies to both scheduled and manual runs (denoted by "C" in the filesystem). Full backups will also overwrite any older Differential backups, resulting in at most 2 Backup files - One Full Backup and one Differential backup.
- Click OK.
In the Target backup directory section, specify the folder where to store all backups. If the network drive requires authentication, click Specify and key-in the username and password (Microsoft Windows only).No special characters are allowed in the folder name.
In the Notification section, type your email address to receive notifications about backups.
If you want to make an immediate full backup, which is independent of your other backups, click the Start Now button.
- Remember, backup time depends on OS server resources (CPU, RAM, SSD). The backup process is single-threaded in order to avoid having the backup task use all the system resources. It is recommended to enable the Archiving feature to reduce the mailstore size.
- Each differential backup contains the difference between the last full backup and the current datastore. For Example:
- With full backup from November 3, we have a differential backup on November 4, and the next differential backup on November 5 will include data differences from November 4 and November 5, so there is no point in keeping a differential backup from November 4.
- Kerio Connect is set up in a way that it removes old differential backups. You can change this setting in the Kerio Connect
mailserver.cfgfile by changing the variable
Note: Kerio Connect server should be stopped before making this change.