Moving a user from one domain to another in the Kerio Connect is sometimes required, and this article outlines the process for doing so.
In this procedure, it is assumed that the old domain name is called domain.old and the new domain name is domain.new.
It is recommended that you create a full backup before you apply any changes. You can make a backup using the Backup feature in Kerio Connect, or by copying mailserver.cfg, users.cfg, and the store directory. For more information, refer to Configuring Backup in Kerio Connect.
Note: This process requires that you stop the Kerio Connect for a period of time.
- Log in to the administration console and create the new user in the new domain.new domain, using the same settings that were previously created for the user.
- Stop the Kerio Connect.
- Navigate to the domain.old directory in your store folder. Perform a "MOVE" of the user folder and place it into the domain.new folder.
- In the user's folder, open the sub.fld file using a text editor, and replace any instance of domain.old with domain.new. Save and close the file.
Repeat this process for the folder.map file if the file exists.
- Update the permissions for the Public Folders.
There are two possibilities, depending on if you have a single set of Public Folders for all domains or individual Public Folders for each domain:
Single Public Folder (Global): Navigate to the mail/#public directory and in the acl.fld file replace all instances of domain.old with domain.new
- Individual Public Folders (Unique for each domain): Do the same as above, but each domain folder will have an acl.fld file, so you need to modify that file in each of the public folders.
- Single Public Folder (Global): Navigate to the mail/#public directory and in the acl.fld file replace all instances of domain.old with domain.new
- Start the Kerio Connect server.
- Delete the old user account in the domain.old domain from the web admin UI.
Now have the user login to their account via Webmail on the domain.new domain to ensure that they are able to view all of their data.
Is backing up data necessary before moving a user to a different domain?
Yes, creating a full backup is essential to prevent data loss during the transition.
- What should be done if the user cannot access their data after moving to the new domain?Double-check the file modifications and ensure Kerio Connect has been restarted. If issues persist, consult additional support resources.
Can this process be reversed?
Yes, the process can be reversed by moving the user data back to the original domain and updating the files and permissions accordingly.