When Kerio Connect is installed on a Windows® operating system alongside Microsoft Defender or a 3rd-party Antivirus or Backup software, it is important to exclude certain folders from the real-time scanning engines. Improper settings of these 3rd-party programs may lead to issues with Webmail/Webadmin loading and file access, along with performance and data corruption problems.
The common 3rd-party Antivirus software includes Symantec Endpoint Protection, Kaspersky, ESET, etc. Certain files can be mistakenly marked as suspected or put on quarantine by Antivirus.
Directories to be excluded
The following directories are to be excluded from antivirus scanning. Defaults are:
- Kerio Connect Installation directory:
- Kerio Connect Mailstore directory:
- Kerio Connect Archive directory:
- Kerio Connect Backup directory:
- For the store directory, navigate to Administration Console > Configuration > Advanced Options > Store Directory.
- For the Archive directory, navigate to Administration Console > Configuration > Archiving and Backup > Archiving.
- For the Backup directory, navigate to Administration Console > Configuration > Archiving and Backup > Backup.
How to add exclusions
Please refer to the corresponding vendor for details on how to add the exclusions in the antivirus or backup software.
- Symantec instructions
- Kaspersky guide
- ESET procedure
- Microsoft Defender: Add an exclusion to Windows Security
Antivirus seems to check each file multiple times - states that Bitdefender actions will be logged in the Debug log, and explains that the Bitdefender plugin creates a temporary copy of the file for scanning purposes.